A member of the psychology forum writes:
I have some major problems I am dealing with. I know that something is wrong with me, but I do not know what it is. I am not asking for a diagnosis, but just some insights into what might be wrong with me. Here are some things I experience on a daily basis:
Question from the psychology forum.
Photo © Brasil2 / iStockPhoto
- I have trouble picking up the main ideas in my conversations with others. Sometimes I finish processing what the person is saying before they have even finished expressing their idea. This makes it hard for me to understand professors in my classes, to process information and carry out tasks at jobs, and to have normal conversations with people in general. Sometimes I even process one word that the person says and think of something completely unrelated to what the person was saying.
- I do not automatically understand people when they say things. It's like I have to try and understand the meaning of each word rather than being able to automatically understand the whole gist and general meaning of the sentence.
- I am often almost incoherent: I have an idea and knowledge of what I want to say in my mind and when I go to share the idea, it never comes out right. Sometimes I have to repeat myself two or three times before the other person understands what I am saying.
- I miss a lot of things that are obvious to other people.
- I am super impulsive to the degree that I do a lot of things that often get me into a lot of trouble.
I am able to process things in my mind and see my profound irrationality after the fact- I'm just scared that I don't comprehend and process things automatically and this impairs every area of my life.
Question for our readers: Have you ever experienced any of these problems? Please share your advice for coping with these issues.