1. Education
Kendra Cherry

Self-Esteem - Psychology Definition of the Week

By July 24, 2010

Definition:In psychology, the term self-esteem is used to describe a person's overall sense of self-worth or personal value. Self-esteem is often seen as a personality trait, which means that it tends to be stable and enduring. Self-esteem can involve a variety of beliefs about the self, such as the appraisal of one's own appearance, beliefs, emotions and behaviors. Learn more about self-esteem.

Related Reading:

Image courtesy Piotr Bizior

Comments

August 29, 2012 at 5:50 am
(1) JY says:

it’s very important to have self esteem..

November 19, 2012 at 8:06 am
(2) Scott Cunningham says:

Hi Kendra,

I am currently in a PsyD program and reference your material often. I hope you keep up the good work. Thank you for your knowledge.

Scott

January 15, 2013 at 11:19 am
(3) me says:

Hi hi hi. I love myself and I have high self-esteem!

March 14, 2013 at 9:34 am
(4) c says:

To define selfesteem is to put ones self up on a pedastal. I teach my daughter to use the defintion of self worth instead..

September 15, 2013 at 12:37 pm
(5) Carol says:

I am a sociologist, and there is considerable evidence that self-esteem can change. If, for example, one is in an abusive relationship, one’s self-esteem might be low. Once the relationship ends and are replaced by healthy one’s, self-esteem rises. One’s self-esteem might rise with increases in education, promotions at work, and treatments for health problems. As you noted, one’s appearance can be a factor. Certainly, weight changes have been known to change self-esteem. It can fall in the same way. I won’t start listing citations to research, but there are tons of it to suggest that self-esteem is not a personality trait that is stable.

February 17, 2014 at 4:28 pm
(6) Scott says:

self-esteem=self-lying.self-esteem is quality of very selfish people.
Most of them virtually ineducable. They are not able to change their behave accordingly to the situation.
The worth quality of the human.