Did you know that hypnosis can be used to alleviate pain and anxiety? Researchers have even found that it can be useful in reducing the symptoms of dementia. While hypnosis is often characterized as a sleep-like trance, researchers suggest that it is better described as a state of heightened suggestibility, vivid fantasies and focused attention.
Some of the potential uses for hypnosis:
- A treatment for chronic pain.
- The reduction and management of stress.
- As an aid in smoking cessation.
- Pain management during chilbirth.
- A treatment for relief of symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
Learn more about hypnosis applications, effects and myths.
Photo by James Steidl/iStockPhoto