Symptoms of Histrionic Personality DisorderIndividuals with histrionic personality disorder:
- Display excessive but shallow emotions and attention-seeking behaviors. These individuals are constantly performing in order to gain attention.
- Experience fleeting moods, opinions, and beliefs. They are also very suggestible and quick to respond to fads.
- Generally need others to witness their emotional displays in order to gain validation or attention.
- Often display exaggerated symptoms of weakness or illness and may use threats of suicide to manipulate others. Also, many suffering from histrionic personality disorder use sexually provocative behaviors to control others or gain attention.
Treatments for Histrionic Personality Disorder
- Individuals suffering from histrionic personality disorder are often difficult to treat. They often seek treatment only when the disorder is causing major problems or stress.
- Psychotherapy can be effective. Group therapy is not recommended since the individual tries to seek attention from group members and exaggerates symptoms.
Overview of Personality Disorders