By Kendra Cherry, About.com Guide
- Social Psychology
- Abnormal Psychology
- Psychology Homework Help
- Psychology Career Basics
- Take a Psychology Quiz
Before you delve into studying psychology, it's important to learn some basic information such as the different branches of psychology, theoretical perspectives, history and research methods. Whether you are new to the subject or just want to brush up on your knowledge, these articles can help you get started on your studies.
- What Is Psychology?
- A Brief History of Psychology
- List of Famous Psychologists
- Perspectives in Modern Psychology
- Specialty Areas in Psychology
- Branches of Psychology
- How Is Psychology Studied?
- Becoming a Consumer of Psychology
- 10 Facts About Psychology
- Psychology 101 Quiz
- Video: Tips for Becoming a Psychology Consumer
Brain and Behavior
Every year, millions of people are affected by disorders of the brain and nervous system including Alzheimer's, Parkinson's disease, strokes, and traumatic brain injuries. These illnesses and injuries highlight the importance of the biological bases of behavior. In this section, explore some of the basics of biological psychology.
- What Is Biopsychology?
- The Neuron
- The Structure of a Neuron
- The Nervous System and Endocrine System
- The Brain
States of Consciousness
Have you ever wondered why you feel more energetic in the morning, tried to analyze your dreams or questioned how hypnosis works? All of these topics are rel
- What Is Consciousness?
- Environmental and Biological Rhythms
- Sleep: Stages, Theories & Problems
- Characteristics of Dreams
From the day we our born, we begin a process of learning that lasts throughout life. Learning has been defined in a number of different ways, but many psychologists describe learning as a relatively permanent change in behavior as a result of experience. Learn more about some of the different theories of learning.
- Introduction to Classical Conditioning
- Principles of Classical Conditioning
- Introduction to Operant Conditioning
- Schedules of Reinforcement
The ability to create, store and access memories is an essential part of day-to-day life. From remembering where you left your keys to learning a language to memorizing information for a class, your memory allows you to function and interact meaningfully with others. Learn more about how memory works and how new memories are formed.
- What Is Memory?
- Memory Retrieval
- Forgetting: When Memory Fails
- Why We Forget: 4 Explanations for Forgetting
- Tips for Improving Memory
The study of human development is a rich and varied subject. We all have personal experience with development, but it is sometimes difficult to understand how and why people grow, learn, and act as they do. Developmental psychology seeks to understand, explain, and predict behaviors that occur throughout the lifespan. In order to understand human development, a number of different developmental theories have arisen to explain various aspects of human growth.
- Psychoanalytic Theories of Development
- Learning Theories of Development
- Cognitive Theories of Development
What makes people think and act the way they do? Are individual characteristics stable throughout life, or do they change? These are just a few of the questions that personality psychologists seek to answer. Personality is made up the characteristic patterns of thoughts, feelings, and behaviors that make each person unique. This topic has become one of the most studied areas in psychology, spawning well-known theories designed to describe and explain how and why people develop certain personality characteristics. Explore the links below to learn more about this fascinating area of psychology.
- What Is Personality?
- How Does Personality Develop?
- What Is Personality Psychology?
- Psychoanalytic Theory of Personality
- Psychosocial Theory of Personality
- Trait Theories of Personality
- 5 Dimensions of Personality
- The Hierarchy of Needs
- Personality Disorders
- Personality Psychology Study Guide
Social psychology is the study of human thought and behavior in social situations. Many topics are studied by social psychologists, including attitudes, aggression, prejudice, prosocial behavior and self-identity. Learn more about how people form impressions of others, interpret the behavior of others and behave in social situations.
- What Is Social Psychology?
- Major Perspectives in Social Psychology
- Research Areas in Social Psychology
- Research Methods in Social Psychology
One of the major goals of psychology is to understand and treat psychological disorders. In this section, learn more about the field of abnormal psychology including some of the different types of therapeutic treatments used by psychologists as well as some of the major types of psychological disorders.
- What Is a Psychological Disorder?
- A List of Psychological Disorders
- How to Become a Therapist
- Differences Between Psychologists and Psychiatrists
Psychology Homework Help
Psychology is an enormous and diverse topic, touching on almost every aspect of our lives including personality, family and social behavior. Whether you're taking your first psychology class or majoring in this fascinating subject, the following collection of resources, tips and academic tools can help you learn more, study more effectively and perform better on tests, essays and class discussions.
- Before You Major In Psychology
- How to Study Psychology
- How to Pass Psychology 101
- How to Write a Psychology Paper
- Find Ideas For Psychology Papers
- How to Take a Multiple-Choice Psychology Exam
- How to Read (and Understand) a Psychology Journal Article
- APA Format Basics
- How to Write a Title Page
- Succeed In Your Psychology Classes
- Time Management for Psychology Students
Psychology Career Basics
Do you enjoy thinking about the causes of human behavior? Have you ever wanted to help people solve problems? If you can answer yes to these questions, then you should definitely consider a career in psychology. As a diverse and exciting field with a wide range of educational and career opportunities, you can pursue the path suited to your personal and professional goals. Explore this section to find the tools, resources and advice you need to succeed in school and find the psychology career that is right for you.
- Entry-Level Careers
- Graduate Degree-Level Careers
- 10 Hot Psychology Careers
- List of Psychology Careers
- Where to Find Psychology Jobs
- How Much Do Psychologists Earn?
- How to Become a Psychologist
- Profiles of Psychology Careers
- Psychology Career Quiz
- Psychology Career FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions
Take a Psychology Quiz
One of the best ways to see how well you understand basic concepts in psychology is to quiz yourself. Take one of the following quizzes to get a better idea of which topics you need to concentrate on.
- Defense Mechanisms Quiz
- Developmental Psychology Quiz
- Behaviorism Quiz
- Personality Psychology Quiz
- Phobia Quiz