The Color Psychology of Blue
- Blue is described as a favorite color by many people and is the color most preferred by men.
- Blue calls to mind feelings of calmness or serenity. It is often described as peaceful, tranquil, secure, and orderly.
- Blue can also create feelings of sadness or aloofness.
- Blue is often used to decorate offices because research has shown that people are more productive in blue rooms.
- Blue is one of the most popular colors, but it is one of the least appetizing. Some weight loss plans even recommend eating your food off of a blue plate. Blue rarely occurs naturally in food aside from blueberries and some plums. Also, humans are geared to avoid foods that are poisonous and blue coloring in food is often a sign of spoilage or poison.
- Blue can also lower the pulse rate and body temperature.
- Consider how blue is used in language: blue moon, blue Monday, blue blood, the blues, and blue ribbon.
Look at the use of blue in this image. How does blue make you feel? Do you associate blue with certain qualities or situations? Read what others have to say and share your own reactions in the links below.
Back to Color Psychology