From the article: Before you Before You Choose a Psychology Major
Why do you want to major in psychology? What is it about the study of the human mind and behavior that you find so appealing? Share your thoughts and experiences, describe what you plan to do after you graduate and provide any tips that other students might find helpful. Share Your Reasons
Why Do You Want to Major In Psychology?
- Well I might say psychology majored in me, or is that being arrogant? Well have you ever found yourself up at night worrying about people? Have you ever wondered why you can see someone doing wrong, and you try to help them and they want help but just can not receive it? Have you ever seen they end of the the movie The Killer, when they crawled right by each other because they both were blind? Well I realized that the reason the problems of others kept me up, was because I honestly care. I tried to help these people and have succeeded at times, or at least made a positive impact but I realized in order to really help them I have to go the root of the problem. If I can understand what stimulates their mind to make certain decisions, then maybe I will be able to break those habits or points of views. So yes I know it was just meant to be in the field of psychology. I am not sure what my focus will be but I know it will be something working with adolescents, and troubled teens.
- —Guest Andrae
It's a passion of mine.
- Even as a young child, helping people was one of my favorite things to do. From a distance, I liked to observe people and watch how they interact with one another. This led to my interest in the field of psychology. Upon doing some more in depth Psychology, I realized that I could assist people while also learning more about the brain, mental illnesses, and how people interact with one another.
- —Guest JoLeigh
Because I am
- The idea hit me that I already am a psychologist, now its time to go to school and dedicate some life to it, as well as earn the honor that goes with the appropriate degree.
- —Guest Laser
Psychology is my Passion I realized
- Well where do I begin. Psychology has been my passion for so long. I just love what I get out of it.in the most direst needs. I've always thought I would do radiology thinking bout the money, a teacher, officer but for some reason those jobs aren't keeping me up at night. The thoughts that keep me up is that I'm heading to a career that doesn't match me. So I thought about it and what I found out as I sit there and thought was that I love helping people. I love analyzing people by watching the face features and also body language, I can tell when someone is lying by this two things and I love it. I love knowing all about the human brain. However, I am not sure what type of psychology I know I want to work with pediatrics, adolescent and young adults. Also work with all types of abuse , neglect and abandonment , social work, human trafficking understanding a mind of a criminal and why they do certain acts so I can help certain people in the process.
- —Guest Bridhgette Diane
Why I wanna became a physcologist
- All my life I've also believed that my happiness in found in ones dream, meaning that I should try to help those who can't help themselves in order to feel happy and alive. From where I come from and the things I've seen, I really don't want any person to go through that path as well. I really wish to see the better in others and to help them heal in a way that they will never forget.
- —Guest Mashosho Gift
cant mind my own business
- i want to study psychology because i cant help butting in other people's business and its a great opportunity to get away with it. i just love listening to other people's problems and commenting. it will be nice for my comments to be treated as the professional opinions they always have been.
- —Guest tyre
A Passion for Helping Others
- I have the passion for helping people. And I come from a family history of addiction and mental health issues. I would love to help my family and treat others with as much concern and care as they were my family. Also I studied nursing which required two phyc courses, And they absolutely intrigued me. As I knew they would since I have always considered psychology as a profession since I was a child and several people told me I was very easy to talk to... even my boss now with just vent to me about personal issues or thoughts of concern and she has said at the end. Honey I'm sorry I don't know why I just told you all of that. Shes a wonderful person. I want to be there for people I want to help.
- —Guest Jessica McQueen
The feeling of safety
- I'm in in the University now, studying psychology in school. Trust me its a very interesting course which comes with varied oppotunities, choices and options. i luv science so much, trying to understand the society we live is refreshing and essential. Humans or people make up this society as well as other living things such as plants and animals, now the set of living things that make most use of the things around us or the things we see are humans, therefore understanding what makes one do something, what made something occur or how something happened is what I call SAFETY and PSYCHOLOGY is the best field to enable me know all that, Being conscious of the things around you is a great feeling. Imagine a friend of yours in a situation which makes him or her relentless and you wish to help but can't because you don't know what to do or don't know anything about his/her situation. Psychology has an interesting way of placing one in most fields if not any field of work.
- —Guest Nana Ama
It's my daily bread
- I am an educator, teaching life skills, I like working with children, protecting them, being there for them, listening to them, advising them, motivating them, helping them. It's what I live for, it's my life, my passion, and also helping the community with their problems. It's my dream come true, my happiness. I want to see people living happily. I have a lot of empathy and I don't have a problem to volunteer to help others, to offer myself. It is my calling.
- —Guest Esther Sekati
- I want to be a Psychologist because I believe that difficult times are only temporary. We just have to address them and know that there are ways around issues or through them. Learning about the mind as much as possible helps eliminate problems because we have solutions to figure out the issue. Why is it that we don't like our image? Why am I depressed? Why does it have to be me? Those are some questions we ask our self daily and I have an answer. I will be attending Umass Dartmouth in the fall with my intended major Psychology. I also love the one-one setting talking to someone at least you know that there is someone listening. Keep pursing your dream We will get there! -
- —Guest Kharlita
Helping others brings self peace of mind
- Ever since I was a little kid I've tried and tried to find interests that will keep me occupied while also providing enjoyment. Recently, being at the age where you have to start exploring different career paths, I've come to a conclusion that whatever I do, I wish to pursue a career that provides enjoyment rather than salary. Fortunately, Psychologists not only provide a great salary range, but also helps me overcome my own problems. Knowing I'm helping others overcome problems and sticky situations seems to provide a temporary resolution to my own mental illnesses.
It can fit many interests
- I wasn't sure what I wanted to do and I'm still not 100% certain, but psych is a great fit for me because I can go so many ways with it. For example I love sports so I could be a sports psychologist, but I also have an interest in law and courtroom procedures, so I could be a forensic psychologist. Or, psychology could even help me get to law school. There are just so many options and you are never tied in to one specific thing!
- —Guest jogirl
I enjoy solving emotional problems
- From the time that I first got into school, I always enjoyed helping my friends think positive and helping them with all kinds of problems that will change their moods. I feel the best possible when friend of mine is walking around happy, knowing that I made that change. I wanna learn this to help others better and to have a job that I love the most!
- —Guest lee keemon
- I choose to study psychology because I want to learn human behavior. Every human has a problem that can result to them to depression. And every human that has problem needs someone to talk to. And for me I just want to help others.
- —Guest Luwisha
Because Life is Bizarre
- I've noticed my conscience circling around a thirst to know facts. I want to learn us. Doubtlessly, I'm quite the social soul. I simply must know why people behave however they behave. I want to gain an expansive scientific knowledge of this mystery of human energy.
- —Guest Sara Daley
1-15 of 136Next